Needed: "Report" button

Use this space for any suggestions or comments related to the operation of these forums. PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS SPACE FOR SCIENCE QUESTIONS!! THEY WILL BE DELETED.

Moderators: Andrew Wiecek, Suzanne

Needed: "Report" button

Postby Zaax » Jul 06 2007 7:21 am

Would it be possible to add a "report" to moderator button under posts?

I seem to be seeing a lot of "britnyraapped" spam threads opening up. Even in this forum there is a "Helen" spam...

I dont expect the mods to spend thier days crawling around everywhere, but a "report" button might help target for deleation these disturbing posts...
Postdoctoral fellow
http://www.lerner.ccf.org/
Zaax
supertech
supertech

Postby kayvee » Jul 06 2007 11:10 am

I second Zaax.
kayvee
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby creepster » Jul 06 2007 11:29 am

sounds like a very good idea

i am also wondering if there are plug-ins available to prevent spam in the beginning by blocking posts as soon as certain catch phrases and words are used
that there are such plug-ins available seems obvious to me since other boards i go to are not overrun by these posts (and they also base on the public phpBB)
Happycat has run out of happy

creepster
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby Suzanne » Jul 06 2007 12:10 pm

Hi,
I know the spam is unpleasant and I try to delete it as fast as possible- checking in every couple hours for posters gone wild.

I'll bring up your suggestion to the BioTechniques editors.

In the meantime, feel free to email me directly if you see something and its on the web for more than a couple hours. But you can be sure that I am checking in and will get it before long.

Best,
Suzanne
Suzanne
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby khenwood » Jul 09 2007 1:35 pm

creepster wrote:sounds like a very good idea

i am also wondering if there are plug-ins available to prevent spam in the beginning by blocking posts as soon as certain catch phrases and words are used
that there are such plug-ins available seems obvious to me since other boards i go to are not overrun by these posts (and they also base on the public phpBB)

You're right. Many forums have the option to block certain words from a message before it even hits the board. Doesn't have to be a plug-in necessarily.
khenwood
technophile
technophile

Return to Suggestions and Comments about This Forum