Finished soon or Increase the IF

Use this space for any suggestions or comments related to the operation of these forums. PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS SPACE FOR SCIENCE QUESTIONS!! THEY WILL BE DELETED.

Moderators: Andrew Wiecek, Suzanne

Finished soon or Increase the IF

Postby samita » Jan 24 2008 2:40 pm

I need some suggestion from you. I can finished PhD this year with little IF.
My boss say spend one more year in PhD and increase the IF. Should i spend 4th year in my PhD to increase the IF or three years PhD is enough specially for me who is from third world.
Our group published the papers between 2 to 7 IF not more then this.
samita
technophile
technophile

Postby Wonder-Boy » Jan 25 2008 3:14 am

Do you like it there and would not mind spending another year there?
Do you have a place to go already? This may take some time to arrange.
Wonder-Boy
technophile
technophile

Postby samita » Jan 25 2008 12:59 pm

I donot like it there from the very beginning. But i adopted there and try to tolerate every thing. Every thing was going well but suddenly my lady boss tries to deprive me from publication becasue on that base i can defend my phd this year. we got some problem and now the relations are very bad.
They donot like me and i dont like them.

I donot have any place yet but in june i will go on conference and i will have publication at that time as well and i can work with my supervisor who is working in another institute untill i got position some where.
This is current situation now.
samita
technophile
technophile

Postby bluetooner » Jan 25 2008 1:35 pm

samita wrote:I donot like it there from the very beginning. But i adopted there and try to tolerate every thing. Every thing was going well but suddenly my lady boss tries to deprive me from publication becasue on that base i can defend my phd this year. we got some problem and now the relations are very bad.
They donot like me and i dont like them.

I donot have any place yet but in june i will go on conference and i will have publication at that time as well and i can work with my supervisor who is working in another institute untill i got position some where.
This is current situation now.

Sounds like you have answered your own question there.
Bluetooner
Research Assistant
A Medical College
USA
bluetooner
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby Wonder-Boy » Jan 25 2008 1:45 pm

It sounds like a difficult situation and I would try to finish and get my degree as soon as possible. But your supervisor must publish in as good journals as possible and there is a conflict of interest here. From your point of view it is more important what you do after your doctor's degree than before. I would try to come up with a plan for your paper together with your supervisor. What is left to do before you can submit? How long is that expected to take? Are any other people involved in the project that can do supplementary experiments once you have left? I don't know what the system is like at your university, can she keep you on indefinitely or must you defend your thesis after a certain period of time? It sounds like you will not be able to defend until this autumn in any case. Use your experience from this time to decide what kind of lab you would like to be in in the future and start looking for that lab.

Edit: Just my 2 cents as they say. Get the opinion of many people. Try to improve relations with your supervisor since you will depend on her giving you decent references.
Wonder-Boy
technophile
technophile

Postby samita » Jan 26 2008 6:49 am

Actually I did nothing, i just cry for my right, I am international student but it does not mean that I have to finished the PhD of home student.
My lady supervisor says "Its not a good idea to be honest in life" so how can i trust on her for my future. Regarding remaining experiments i can come to do the supplement experiment. My main supervisor is very good and he gave me advice to finished this year and its possible if my paper got accepted till july. I have to defend in september, and relations with the lady boss can only be improved if i spend another year in the PhD and help the home student to finished their PhD which i donot want.

About Reference letter, Is it necessary i have to take it from her, i cant send other name for my reference " I have two other people for that", which can give me good reference letter.
samita
technophile
technophile

Postby Wonder-Boy » Jan 26 2008 7:55 am

OK since she is not your main supervisor you should not listen to her so much
Wonder-Boy
technophile
technophile

Postby samita » Jan 26 2008 10:36 am

Yeah She is not my main supervisor, but we have a collaboration with her.
With out my supervisor she cant publish in good journal. My supervisor wants me to finished as soon as possible, and he says if i want to go to work in another group he can help me for that to increase the IF for my PhD work.
samita
technophile
technophile

Return to Suggestions and Comments about This Forum