Project help!

Use this forum for general bioinformatics questions, or questions regarding genomics, proteomics, etc.

Moderators: mdfenko, Abhijeet Bakre, strom

Project help!

Postby PCRDON » Mar 09 2016 12:10 pm

I have recently been set the task of carrying out a research project based on trace element utilisation. After countless hours reading into trace elements and how different species from the three kingdoms of life utilise these (transporter/user proteins), I've now been told that I have to start producing some data using blastp. I will be using dbTEU, which has roughly 16,500 protein sequences for trace element-containing proteins, from ~700 species from the three kingdoms of life. However, I'm unsure as to what what to "investigate" and how I can carry out a research project based on simply comparing protein sequences with one another. Any ideas?
PCRDON
newcomer
newcomer

Re: Project help!

Postby mchlbrmn » Mar 09 2016 6:15 pm

There are databases available of experimental data for you to mine. These include various mammalian cells or tissue treated in different ways with arrays of genes' RNA expression measured (not useful for you, but that's what I'm more familiar with). There are links from the NCBI website.
I don't have time to search now, but perhaps you can find existing data useful for you available on line. Experiments would also be available in the literature, but sites like the NCBI may compile data turned out by various labs or facilities in one place.
Or perhaps genomic data would be more useful to you, if you find data to correlate it with a change in nutrient usage.
mchlbrmn
ModSquad
ModSquad

Return to General Bioinformatics