TC10™ Automated Cell Counter

Forum for prokaryotic and eukaryotic culture, cell culture related assays (e.g. CTL, cytokine release, B cell culture), cell lines/primary culture, reagents, etc.

TC10™ Automated Cell Counter

Postby relaxin » Jul 22 2010 1:37 pm

I am thinking of buying a TC10™ Automated Cell Counter from Bio-Rad. Is there anyone who has experience on it or other similar equipment?
Not affiliated with any company. Mention of a specifc product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Re: TC10™ Automated Cell Counter

Postby CrowSan » Jul 23 2010 9:58 am

Hi - you might remember we had some discrepancies between manual and automated counts using a Vi-Cell. We have now confirmed the ViCell was correct by using a Guava machine (a mini Facs device). I like the Vicell and it seems to have a similar concentration range to the TC10™ Automated Cell Counter you are thinking of getting. The Vicell does have a larger size range though (up to 70 uM for the ViCell) but uses a much larger minimum volume (600 ul vs 10 ul for the TC10) and only counts in one plane - although it looks like the TC10 only does one sample at a time? With the VIcell you can load up to 12 samples and leave it to run (it has a wheel you fit the cuvettes in) so I guesss it depends on how many cell counts you have to do at a time. One thing you might want to be aware of is that sometimes these devices have problems distinguishing between cell "clumps" and single cells or they can call one non-circular cell as two cells or more (my fibroblasts are never completely round after trypsinisation). With the vicell you can change a number of parameters such as "circularity ", "viable spot size" and "clumpiness"and save them as a certain cell type (i.e. CHO cell, Fibroblast, insect etc) to reduce these errors. It might be worth checking the specs on the TC10 to see if it can do the same type of thing.
If you do get a cell counter you'll have to let me know how your manual counts compare!
CrSn
CrowSan
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby relaxin » Jul 23 2010 6:51 pm

I never do manual cell counting. I have been using MTT proliferation assay, but find out it cannot tell the difference of cell number between treatment and control, even though I can see the difference by eye-balling. That is why I am thinking of buying a cell counter. What is the price of ViCell? The TC10 has a list price of about $4K.
Not affiliated with any company. Mention of a specifc product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby CrowSan » Jul 29 2010 4:13 am

Not sure - i will ask our lab manager and get back to you.
CrowSan
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby CrowSan » Jul 29 2010 8:12 am

Hi I was just informed we picked ours up cheap on an auction from a company that had folded. The list price is around £40 000 I've been told (not sure what the exchange rate £:$ is). We got it for £14 000. More expensive than I thought!
Maybe you could put a cheeky bid in on e-bay :)
CrSn
CrowSan
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby relaxin » Jul 29 2010 11:15 am

Thanks, I think it will not be cheap even on e-Bay. I may just go for the TC10. I am too lazy to do manual counting. :)
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby LabKat » Jul 30 2010 11:15 am

Can the TC10 be used for counting yeast cells?
LabKat
newcomer
newcomer

Postby WISBiomed » Aug 10 2010 5:41 pm

TC10 maybe the lowest priced counter you can find. Take a single image and convert to count, size..

How do you like your TC10?

Digital Bio also manufactures an automated counter ADAM MC which images over 20 fields for count calculation, also report total cells, live cells.
Martin Wang
WISBiomed
http://www.wisbiomed.com

Lab equipment and reagents
WISBiomed
supertech
supertech

Return to Cell Culture