Need help with a tif image taken from a microscope

Use for discussion of various microscopy and imaging techniques, such as phase, fluorescence and confocal microscopy, electron microscopy, and various other imaging techniques.

Moderator: r.rosati

Need help with a tif image taken from a microscope

Postby Nina_1 » Mar 16 2017 6:53 pm

Dear All,

For my dessertation I need to include a figure containing a cells image with I took a while ago with a microscope ( which I dont have access to it now). I need to include information about the scale of the image, knowing that I have the tif original image, but no information about the microscope anymore.

Is there any possibility to get the scale from that tif image, and if yes how can i do that please?!

Thanks in advance for any information

Nina
Nina_1
newcomer
newcomer

Re: Need help with a tif image taken from a microscope

Postby r.rosati » Mar 16 2017 7:20 pm

Hard... You're really more likely to get the correct scale by trying to contact the microscope owners, or someone with the same exact microscope setup.
If you're lucky, depending on the software used to generate the TIFF, some information might be stored within metadata. Try uploading the image on http://fotoforensics.com/ and see if you get any relevant metadata. Then you'd have to figure out how to make a scale out of that informaton.
r.rosati
ModSquad
ModSquad

Re: Need help with a tif image taken from a microscope

Postby Nina_1 » Mar 17 2017 6:01 am

r. Rosati, thanks a lot for your quick answer. Unfortunately it is impossible to get any information about that microscope, but it was just a simple light microscope, and the pictures were taken using a normal camera from the ocular of that micrsocope. I think I used a 10x objective to take the pictures. Is it possible to get the scale (...┬ÁM) from the objective ?
Nina_1
newcomer
newcomer

Return to Microscopy and Imaging Techniques