Insect mitochondrial isolation

Use this category for questions directly related to DNA manipulation (isolation, purification, sequencing, etc.) and questions regarding general PCR methodologies

Moderators: r.rosati, mchlbrmn

Insect mitochondrial isolation

Postby corto » Mar 15 2012 12:21 pm

Hi, just wondering if anyone has heard of a good protocol for isolating mitochondria from whole insects. I'm currently trying to sequence the mitogenome of an insect of interest and I realize there are (at least) two ways to go. Most people seem to choose extracting genomic DNA and performing mitochondria-specific long-range PCR to get sequence out. I was thinking it should be possible to isolate the mitochondria and then perform rolling circle amplification, but I haven't been able to find much on the matter. Mitochondrial isolation procedures are easy to find for rat liver's etc. so maybe I could adapt one of these for some pooled whole body insect samples?

Thanks in advance!
corto
newcomer
newcomer

Re: Insect mitochondrial isolation

Postby biochembug » Mar 15 2012 7:04 pm

What sample you are handling, Insect cell line or actual insect tissue?

You may be able to isolate mitochondrial fraction for a cell line (requires optimization), however, I won't try it for my precious samples such as actual insects. PCR is a proven boon for them. My colleagues from a previous lab used to do PCR after extracting total DNA from insect parts.

Biochembug
biochembug
Prolific Post-Master
Prolific Post-Master

Postby corto » Mar 28 2012 2:38 pm

Working with whole insect specimina, and I've come to the same conclusion that PCR is the way to go. Putting my effort into optimizing long PCR's. Thanks for the input!
corto
newcomer
newcomer

Postby biochembug » Mar 28 2012 5:54 pm

For long PCR, I would recommend you phusion (http://www.neb.com/nebecomm/products/productm0530.asp). Do not waste your time with Pfu. I have amplified plasmids upto 10 kb.
biochembug
Prolific Post-Master
Prolific Post-Master

Return to DNA and General PCR Methods