So I was doing an RNA/DNA extraction from some blood samples and I didn't need all of them, so I tossed a few of the aliquots with trizol into a tub of bleach. All of this was done in a fumehood, with gloves and a safety gown on.
I decided to stop and take a break, and when I was walking around the lab, I noticed my gown smelt really weird. Kinda like really strong bleach sort of smell, and I knew you wouldn't normally smell that (or would you?).
I quickly washed my forearms and got rid of the smell, but I am really worried now about my health. I learned afterwards that trizol and bleach should never be mixed (which I did not know). What sort of foul chemical reaction occurs? Have I put myself into grievous danger? Should I really be worried or was I just smelling the bleach residue on my gown?
I never got any of it on my skin, but the fact that I could still smell it even after I got out of the fumehood worries me.
Any feedback would be helpful.