Slightly different DNA storage qestion

Use this category for questions directly related to DNA manipulation (isolation, purification, sequencing, etc.) and questions regarding general PCR methodologies

Moderators: r.rosati, mchlbrmn

Slightly different DNA storage qestion

Postby Flulol » Mar 15 2017 10:02 am

Just curious if anyone has advice:

I am looking to see what the best option would be to store a pellet of DNA at room temperature. Part of what I would like to do is ideally have either a dried pellet of genomic DNA which would remain stable at room temperature in a sealed container, or a pellet of genomic DNA in a small sealed container with some other clear solution. Most encountered mol bio questions revolve around dissolving a pellet that is being problematic, I want to find a way to do the opposite. The main concerns for me are relatively long term storage (specifically under these conditions), and prevention or minimization of DNA integrity. I am using a gDNA prep kit that results in approximately 5-12ug of genomic DNA, which is considered ultra clean. Adding other reagents is possible as well. I would potentially like to be able to reverse this (by re cleaning the DNA for downstream apps) but this actually isn't a huge concern. Mainly having a visible DNA pellet that is relatively stable long term. I realize this a weird request.

Also, any other advice for long term DNA storage in solution at room temperature in a small volume would be helpful. I am under the assumption TE would be fine to store gDNA for some time.

Thanks for any advice.
Flulol
newcomer
newcomer

Re: Slightly different DNA storage qestion

Postby relaxin » Mar 16 2017 10:39 am

Pure genomic DNA can be stored in a solution in TE at 4 degrees C for a long time. If you want to store it at room temperature, then do ethanol precipitation, rinse with 70% ethanol and dry the pellet. Store the dried pellet in a desiccator.
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Return to DNA and General PCR Methods