Why measure mRNA in blood?

Use this category for the exchange of ideas, methodologies and references regarding the isolation, manipulation and analysis of RNA. (Extraction protocols, Northern Blot analysis, RNase Protection, Differential Display, In Vitro Transcription, etc.)

Moderators: mchlbrmn, Abhijeet Bakre

Why measure mRNA in blood?

Postby marcpaulo » Mar 17 2017 8:02 am

Hello all,

Feel free to tell me to go read a few papers if you think this is a ridiculous question.

I'm currently measuring mRNA in whole blood using RT-qPCR, whole blood ideally contains red blood cells, white blood cells, plasma, platelets along with other complexes that are stable in the circulation.

When you measure mRNA in whole blood are you only detecting the mRNAs that are present in white and red blood cells, have the rest not degraded?

I'm aware that microRNA and other small non-coding RNA complexes can exist in the circulation in exosomes and attached to HDL-proteins, but when you measure mRNA in blood are they really telling you anything unless your pathology directly relates to red or white blood cells?
marcpaulo
newcomer
newcomer

Re: Why measure mRNA in blood?

Postby relaxin » Mar 19 2017 8:14 pm

One example is to detect metastatic thyroid cancer cells in whole blood by checking expression of thyroglobulin gene.
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Return to RNA Methods