RNAlater (R) and collagenase interaction

Use this category for the exchange of ideas, methodologies and references regarding the isolation, manipulation and analysis of RNA. (Extraction protocols, Northern Blot analysis, RNase Protection, Differential Display, In Vitro Transcription, etc.)

Moderators: mchlbrmn, Abhijeet Bakre

RNAlater (R) and collagenase interaction

Postby CEM » Oct 27 2016 4:08 pm

I am working with a difficult to homogenize tissue, and was wondering if digestion with collagenase would aid in cell separation and lysis. I store my samples in RNAlater or RNAlater ICE as needed. I am working with samples 10-30mg in size and have been frustrated with liquid nitrogen. If I freeze a sample immediately after collection, I have little RNA degradation, but when later isolating, getting an accurate weight is confounded with condensation and ice from liquid nitrogen temperatures.

Does anyone know how collagenase and RNAlater would interact if incubated before or after storing in RNAlater?
CEM
newcomer
newcomer

Re: RNAlater (R) and collagenase interaction

Postby r.rosati » Oct 28 2016 11:52 am

I don't have direct experience on this; however, if you want you can read about the composition of RNAlater in this patent file. Basically RNAlater contains a high concentration of ammonium sulfate. So while the tissues are imbibed in RNAlater, they will be impervious to the action of collagenase; and if you remove RNAlater from the tissue, some RNAse might slowly renature and start degrading RNA... There might be a "sweet spot", but I also don't know if you'll be able to get a satisfactory cell pellet from tissue treated with RNAlater and then disrupted with collagenase. I hope others will comment on this.
About incubating in collagenase before stabilization... I wouldn't risk it, or you'd have to know that this method works for the actual tissue you're working on.
Is cryosectioning an option?
r.rosati
ModSquad
ModSquad

Re: RNAlater (R) and collagenase interaction

Postby CEM » Jan 04 2017 5:02 pm

r.rosati wrote:r.rosati

Took a while but I found a paper that actually preforms this very technique! Read Wasserman, E. Bone 53 (2013) 14-23.
CEM
newcomer
newcomer

Return to RNA Methods