Is a Kozak sequence necessary in Sindbis replicon vector?

Use this category for questions regarding problems manipulating proteins in molecular biology applications (expression, detection, etc.)

Moderators: mdfenko, leekaming

Is a Kozak sequence necessary in Sindbis replicon vector?

Postby Tirptz » Jul 24 2017 10:45 am

I amplified a viral gene by PCR and cloned it into a Sindbis virus replicon plasmid vector.The vector has a human cytomegalovirus (hCMV) immediate-early promoter/enhancer element. The total plasmid side is 16kb. There is no kozak sequence before the viral gene start codon. I have been electroporating in HEK and BHK cells but the level of protein expresson is very low, around 5%. Could it be that the low level of protein expression is because of the absence of the kozak sequence? Do i need to incoporate it inorder to improve protein expression levels or what else can i do improve protein expression?
Tirptz
technician-in-training
technician-in-training

Re: Is a Kozak sequence necessary in Sindbis replicon vector

Postby relaxin » Jul 24 2017 8:13 pm

Yes, a Kozak sequence is needed for efficient translation of viral RNA in eukaryotic cells. However, your low expression level may also be due to low efficiency of electroporation.
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Postby Tirptz » Jul 25 2017 2:45 pm

I cannot rule out low transfection efficiency though i have tried a number of electroporation parameters including those recommended by the kit's manufacturer. The positive control (GFP) is being expressed well, about 90% efficiency. It is in a smaller plasmid, 7kb.
Tirptz
technician-in-training
technician-in-training

Postby r.rosati » Jul 26 2017 8:56 am

If you're using pSinRep5, page 14 of the manual states "It is recommended to include a Kozak consensus sequence in your insert for proper initiation of translation of your gene (Kozak, 1990) and a stop codon for termination of the recombinant protein".
r.rosati
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby Tirptz » Jul 27 2017 7:46 am

I am using a plasmid assembled in the lab. Its not pSinRep5 but i guess the same principle applies. I will include a kozak sequence and compare protein expression levels. Thank you
Tirptz
technician-in-training
technician-in-training

Return to Protein Methods