Large plasmid ligation: do i need Alkaline phosphatase?

Use this category for general molecular biology questions that don't fit specifically into any of the categories above, including software questions

Moderators: r.rosati, mdfenko

Large plasmid ligation: do i need Alkaline phosphatase?

Postby Leopold_Mexico » Jul 12 2017 11:31 am

Hi everyone, i'm a new user.
I have a doubt about a protocol I'm using for a ligation of a very large plasmid (14kbp) with an insert: after digestion with a single-cut enzyme (sticky ends), the protocol passes directly to the purification of the plasmid without making any alkaline phosphatase. My doubt is during the ligation, the plasmid will self-ligated without accepting the insert :roll: . Am I mistaken or the protocol is incorrect?

Cheers! :wink:
Last edited by Leopold_Mexico on Jul 15 2017 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leopold_Mexico
newcomer
newcomer

Re: Large plasmid ligation: do i need Alkaline phosphatase?

Postby relaxin » Jul 13 2017 11:32 am

The protocol is incorrect. The vector should be dephosphorylated with alkaline phosphatase when it is cut with single enzyme. Phosphatase treatment is recommended even when the vector is cut with two different restriction enzymes, since there is always small amount of single-cut vector present.

If your vector is not in limited supply, I would recommend gel purification after dephosphorylation to remove intact vector.
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Return to General Methods