Recessiveness!!! Important

Non-professional visitors (i.e., lay people, high school and undergraduate students) or professionals from other fields should use this forum for general questions regarding molecular biology. No guarantee that they'll be answered but you can always try!

Moderators: r.rosati, mchlbrmn

Recessiveness!!! Important

Postby MrGenetic » Oct 14 2017 6:31 am

What is the recessiveness? I think that not expressing is not true explaining. Actually, Recessiveness is about phenotype. There is two or more allele in locus. Dominant allele provide dominant phenotype, recessive allele provide recessive, masket phenotype. Recessive allele is not physically repressed like imprinting or epistatis. Expression could be done; but there is no regulative or functional expression for exhibiting in trait. So, trait is masked due to dominant allele's trait. Is that true?
MrGenetic
newcomer
newcomer

Re: Recessiveness!!! Important

Postby 29yrsExperience » Oct 17 2017 1:29 pm

You have raised an interesting question and I found a website that might explain it better for you. Good luck!

http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/basics/patterns/
29yrsExperience
technophile
technophile

Postby Rolo Beorn » Oct 17 2017 2:49 pm

You might find this interesting...it concerns an RNA-target mechanism.http://www.inra.fr/en/Scientists-Studen ... expression
Rolo Beorn
technophile
technophile

Postby ElectrOTechBiZ » Nov 09 2017 9:12 am

Hi Guys,
A recessive gene is a gene that can be masked by a dominant gene. In order to have a trait that is expressed by a recessive gene, such as blue eyes, you must get the gene for blue eyes from both of your parents. You might remember the word recessive from biology, where it most often appears.
It also describe the inheritance patterns of certain traits. Recessive gene also called allele.
ElectrOTechBiZ
newcomer
newcomer

Postby 29yrsExperience » Nov 16 2017 2:06 pm

Hi ElectrOTechBiZ,

You are describing the term "recessive" as it comes from classical Mendelian inheritance, which is fine for the original definition of the word. But in this age of whole genome sequencing a more advanced understanding is needed. I would recommend that you also check out the website I recommended earlier.

Cheers!
29yrsExperience
technophile
technophile

Return to Student Questions