Molecular biology essay

Non-professional visitors (i.e., lay people, high school and undergraduate students) or professionals from other fields should use this forum for general questions regarding molecular biology. No guarantee that they'll be answered but you can always try!

Moderators: r.rosati, mchlbrmn

Molecular biology essay

Postby zoey » May 20 2017 9:43 am

Can someone explain to me about How zika virus is detected using PCR?
Please help me... i need to write an essay... if i got the idea of how it works i can do it... tyvm... i need it asap :D

Re: Molecular biology essay

Postby relaxin » May 22 2017 9:16 am

Just do Google search on "Zika virus PCR". You will get lots of information on the subject.

If you have something you do not understand in your reading, then you can ask us for specific questions.
Retired academic researcher. Mention of a specific product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Re: Molecular biology essay

Postby PatriciaThomas » Nov 14 2017 3:25 am

Zika virus (ZIKV), a mosquito borne flavivirus is a pathogen affecting humans in Asia and Africa. ZIKV infection diagnosis relies on serology–which is challenging due to cross-reactions with other flaviviruses and/or absence or low titer of IgM and IgG antibodies at early phase of infection- virus isolation, which is labor intensive, time consuming and requires appropriate containment. Therefore, real-time RT-PCR (rRT-PCR) is an appealing option as a rapid, sensitive and specific method for detection of ZIKV in the early stage of infection. The titer of ZIKV stocks were determined and 10-fold dilutions of the stock were used to study the sensitivity of the assay in a synthetic normal human plasma (Acrometrix, Benicia, CA), used in absence of naturally human infected ZIKV sample and Leibovitz 15 (L-15) growth medium (GibcoBRL, Grand Island, NY, USA), used as supernatants of infected AP61 cells with ZIKV.

Return to Student Questions