RNAlater vs. RNAprotect

Use this category for the exchange of ideas, methodologies and references regarding the isolation, manipulation and analysis of RNA. (Extraction protocols, Northern Blot analysis, RNase Protection, Differential Display, In Vitro Transcription, etc.)

Moderators: mchlbrmn, Abhijeet Bakre

RNAlater vs. RNAprotect

Postby mmarino » May 21 2008 6:13 am

Hi everybody, I want to preserve my samples (midge larvae) for RNA isolation. The procedure I'm going to follow is freezing in liquid nitrogen followed by submersion in RNAlater/protect. In any case, my question is; is there a difference between RNAprotect and RNAlater. I know RNAprotect is intended for bacteria, but we got it in the lab and if it's the same I would like to use it.
mmarino
newcomer
newcomer

Postby the-xray » May 22 2008 2:31 am

I don't know the right compositions, but as I know Qiagens RNAlater is only for tissue,
but they offer now also RNAprotect for bacteria, which contains (additionally :?: ) tetradecyltrimethylammonium bromide
and RNAprotect for cells, which contains tetradecyltrimethylammonium oxalate to inhibit nucleases and gene transcription more effective
the-xray
Prolific Post-Master
Prolific Post-Master

Ambion RNAlater-Ice

Postby Suzanne » May 22 2008 9:55 am

Hi M,
I think Ambion might have a better product called RNAlater-Ice. It is specifically designed for taking a sample previously stored at -80C or LN2 and switching to room temp stabilization.
http://www.ambion.com/catalog/CatNum.php?7030

I don't think the RNAlater or Protect would penetrate a frozen tissue- or it has not been tested for that.

You could also just pulverize your larvae in a high guanidine/ BME containing lysis buffer and store the lysate at -80C. Then, when you are ready for extraction, you can just thaw and go direct to processing.
We used to store cell lysates like this, passing the lysate through a needle and syringe to make sure everything was liquified and the DNA was completely sheared before storing.

Best,
Suzanne

(not affliated with Ambion)
Suzanne
ModSquad
ModSquad

Return to RNA Methods