How about lab politics, views on science, career obstacles?

Use this space for any suggestions or comments related to the operation of these forums. PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS SPACE FOR SCIENCE QUESTIONS!! THEY WILL BE DELETED.

Moderators: Andrew Wiecek, Suzanne

How about lab politics, views on science, career obstacles?

Postby Anne-Marie » Feb 17 2008 2:28 pm

Hi everybody!

This forum is really great and it's hard to tell u how much it has helped me before, thank you!

I was just wondering if there is or if you plan to include a section on the "personal" side of science, somewhere where we could discuss things that go on in our labs and lives (and sometimes drive us mad! ;)) such as:

- weird/absent/demanding PIs

- difficult lab mates

- what to do when... [the budget is over? you collegue has the radio super loud? you don't understand somebody's accent?)

- tricky situations

- what choice to take in your career?

- how to learn "subtle" skills (independence/troubleshooting/networking etc)

Etc, etc, etc

Just a place where we could discuss things that go on in science but are not science themselves.

Thanks!

Anne-Marie
Anne-Marie
technophile
technophile

Re: How about lab politics, views on science, career obstacles?

Postby sing09 » May 10 2010 11:12 pm

I agree that there is a need for some space to ask for advise on some situations. There is a post such as this on the "Research Employment Opportunities" section which I have responded to because I thought it was a valid question. However, it can be expected that not all forum participants will communicate in a mature and professional manner over certain controversial issues and this could give a lot of work to the moderators; therefore, it is understandable the lack of interest in building a forum such as this. Perhaps it would be more appropriate for you to open a discussion page on Facebook or other site of the sort, for example. You could then invite people in here to participate if they wish.
Cheers,
Sing09
Sing09

Not affiliated with any distributor or manufacturer of scientific goods/instrumentation. Mentioning a product is a result of personal preference and does not imply my endorsement of the product to the exclusion of other equally good ones.
sing09
Prolific Post-Master
Prolific Post-Master

Postby mchlbrmn » May 14 2010 12:04 pm

I think it's a good idea.
For now, there's always the Humor section. What is humor is open to interpretation, it has in the past in some ways filled this role. I doubt anyone will get too peeved about humor postings being off topic (just add a riddle at the end of the post).
mchlbrmn
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby sing09 » May 16 2010 7:38 pm

That's a good idea, mchlbrmn. I could start, I suppose. Let's see what other people think.
Cheers,
Sing09
Sing09

Not affiliated with any distributor or manufacturer of scientific goods/instrumentation. Mentioning a product is a result of personal preference and does not imply my endorsement of the product to the exclusion of other equally good ones.
sing09
Prolific Post-Master
Prolific Post-Master

Postby Suzanne » May 17 2010 4:50 pm

You have your wish. It has been created!

Suzanne
http://www.mobio.com/blog
Visit The Culture Dish!
Suzanne
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby sing09 » May 17 2010 8:24 pm

Cool!
Sing09

sing09
Prolific Post-Master
Prolific Post-Master

Return to Suggestions and Comments about This Forum