NanoDrop vs. NanoVue

Use this category for questions directly related to DNA manipulation (isolation, purification, sequencing, etc.) and questions regarding general PCR methodologies

Moderators: r.rosati, mchlbrmn

NanoDrop vs. NanoVue

Postby viper06_02 » Jul 30 2008 8:24 am

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of a NanoVue when compared to a NanoDrop?
viper06_02
newcomer
newcomer

Postby relaxin » Jul 30 2008 9:44 am

It seems to me that Nanovue is a standalone spec, while NanoDrop needs a computer to produce the O.D. reading. I do not use a Nanovue, but I am happy with the NanoDrop. Basically, both have more or less the same functions. You can compare with the price before you make your decision.
Not affiliated with any company. Mention of a specifc product does not imply my endorsement of the product. No conflict of interest or guarantee to work on the advice given. Do as I say, not as I do. Not liable to the loss of your valuable samples.
relaxin
PI of Posters
PI of Posters

Nanodrop ND-1000 vs NanoVue

Postby WISBiomed » Aug 01 2008 11:26 am

The key difference is how the sample is loaded and issues related to.

For Nanodrop, you load sample on the lower pedstal and close the upper arm and then release the upper arm. There is a built-in feature called "touch-off", meaning the pressure is no longer applied to the sample after the upper arm touches sample. You can inspect the liquid column formation for any air bubble trapped or mis-aligned sample ( liquid column is no in the center of the sensor).

NanoVue on the other hand has two plates of glass press sample in between. No simple ways to inspect possible trapped air bubble. The surface of glass may be subject to permenent staining.
Martin Wang
WISBiomed
http://www.wisbiomed.com

Lab equipment and reagents
WISBiomed
supertech
supertech

Postby supertech » Aug 11 2008 10:52 am

The really big difference is cost. The Nanodrop can be obtained for aroun $6,ooo USD. Whereas the NanoVue is greater than $10,000 USD.

Personnaly, I am very happy with the Nanodrop
supertech
technophile
technophile

Postby the-xray » Aug 12 2008 2:38 am

hmm, our price is around 10,000 € for both :evil:
the-xray
Prolific Post-Master
Prolific Post-Master

Postby supertech » Aug 12 2008 6:43 am

Was this a price inquiry over the phone with a customer service representative or with the sales representative? The customer service reps aren't able to give you better discounts that the sales reps are allowed.

Also, are you industry or academic? It does matter. Industry doesn't get the same discounts. I was quoted $6,000 by the sales representative about 6 months ago (without computer).

Were you quoted for the regular spec or the fluorescent one? Or was it the 8 channel spec? Also was this price including a computer? My pricing was for the non- 8 channel and non-fluorescent Nanodrop.

The Bio-Rad sales rep recently came for a group demo of their latest and greatest spectrophotometers and could beat the price by $2000 but not the quality of technology. When I told him of the quote for the Nanodrop, he was not surprised.

I would get them to re-quote you because $10,000 is kind of high (if it was indeed a basic Nanodrop)
supertech
technophile
technophile

Postby the-xray » Aug 12 2008 8:37 am

the price for the ND-1000 incl. PC was 10,975 € for our academic institution (german) from a sales rep. of peqlab
the-xray
Prolific Post-Master
Prolific Post-Master

Postby Dual » Aug 13 2008 6:26 am

Hi there. We are also looking for a microliter spec. Has anyone tested the Picodrop ?
Dual
technophile
technophile

Return to DNA and General PCR Methods